Hebrews 12:1-13

"Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders, and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with
perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith..."
Hebrews 12:1-13

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Throwing Off Everything that Hinders - Mark

Ouch, ouch, ouch.  You know, I'm really comfortable just the way I am.  I don't know if I really want to get rid of:
Spending habits that cause me to waste money.
Eating habits that cause me to not lose the final 20-30 pounds I need to get rid of to qualify for Boston.
My procrastinating that causes me to put off some things that I should have really taken care of earlier.
Drum roll.......................my laziness when it comes to my personal time with the Lord.

But there it is,  ".....throw off everything that hinders, and the sin that so easily entangles...."  It just stares at you and doesn't go away, and you know, that's what God's love is all about.  He keeps on knocking on my door, trying to get through to me.  He doesn't let go of me, even when I'm rude and I walk on by without saying a word.

But here is the rub, he makes it clear later on in this chapter of Hebrews that there is this little matter of discipline that I'm going to have to deal with, since He is my Father, and since He does love me so very much.  He will not give up on me.  He will continue to discipline (teach) me what I need to know!

Oh Lord, forgive me for not taking the time with you that I really, really need.  Forgive me for wasting resources you have given to me.  Forgive me for not taking care of my temple in a way that glorifies you.  Forgive me for putting off those things you have prompted me to take care of today.  Help me to be more diligent in getting alone with you.  Help me to desire you more, and to be open to your direction in my life.  Help me to live out the reality of Paul's prayer in Philippians 1:9-11 where he says,

"....that your love may abound, more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment